Self-Sufficiency


I was reading in Genesis this morning a very common story that many have heard since pre-school. It was in Genesis 11 where people got together and made clay bricks to try and build a tower, aka the Tower of Babel. Something stuck out to me that I never realized before. All of my life I have just thought that the idea of Self Sufficiency is a somewhat new one because of the entrepreneur attitude of the 20th and 21st centuries. I thought that it was so prevalent today because of all of the little gadgets that we have to make life easier. What I realized is that this idea of being a Self-Sufficient, "I can do it on my own" kind of person has been going on ever since the fall of man. I suppose I knew this but I never really thought about it.
In reading about the Tower of Babel I noticed a commonality in some of the language. The people are saying, "come let us make bricks, and burn them thoroughly... come let us build ourselves a city and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves..."
The builders believe that they have no need for God. Their technology and social unity make them rely solely on their own abilities. They are so confident in themselves that they don't need anyone to help them.
This philosophy is so similar to our philosophy today. I guess the only difference is that we're not building towers out of mud, we are building them with WiFi and iPhones and stuff.

Just an observation...

0 comments:

Post a Comment